Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Natasha, Pierre... This title is way too long




Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812


First off, I think this title is way too long. Try selling it to a friend, “Yes you should go see Natasha, Pierre… Shoot I forget the rest of it, but yea it’s a cool show about War and Peace.” Catch my drift? I never had to read this Tolstoy’s dense novel. BUT, the show, written by Dave Malloy does a good job of clearly explaining the silly Russian love triangle. Here are my thoughts about the play:
 

Likes:


  • Creation of ambiance=Impeccable. As the host led me to my table, I was flabbergasted by the awesome decor. The show takes place in a TENT on B’Way. Set designer Mimi Lien transformed the white walls by draping them in red curtains, hanging elaborate Russian paintings, filling the room with tiny tables and  Tiffany lamps and a wrap-around stage that can be viewed from all corners of the tent.
  • Costumes had a great steam-punk vibe that I really dug. The cut up corsets, layered gloves, multiple rings, curly cue up dos and beautiful dresses gave me something to admire when the songs were lacking. (Disclaimer: I was frustrated that the opening number I saw a couple of actors fidgeting with their costumes. Maybe this is a pet peeve of mine, but it definitely brought me out of the ‘experience.’)
  • Innocence to Magic: I liked the way Rachel Chavkin, director, seamlessly had the actors enter and exit from all sides of the tent. Phillipa Soo never lost the mystical innocence of coming to a new city, Moscow and the imagination of undying love. The help of the set and costume design aided the enchantment of evening

Dislikes:


  • Music variety: Overwhelmed by the different types of music used to portray the story of WAR AND PEACE. It ranged from Rock, classical, folk, techno, to absurd ‘ha-has’.
  • Passé ensemble members: What the heck were these guys doing in this play? They looked super unenthusiastic and bored to be a part of this show. I mean come on... Friday night, and y’all are doing a B’WAY show in a tent. GET PUMPED!
  • Deception by the food and the time: On the internet it looks like you get a meal with the purchase of your extremely overpriced ticket. BUT no, you can purchase perogies for 20 dollars. (Note: You only get 4) Or how about cocktail, straight up Vodka for 16 dollars. I understand you’ve got to pay the crazy amount of employees you have that need to get the orders in the 30 minutes before the start of the show, but this was just a bit obscene. The show was almost 3 hours. (longer) From the time you stand in line around 7:45 to the time you get out 10:50, the show exhausts you, instead of invigorating you.

 
I was excited for some SITE SPECIFIC IMMERSIVE THEATRE but this is really just a DINNER THEATRE in the middle of Times Square. Save your money. Buy some Vladimirs at your local liquor store and go see Marie Antoinette at Soho Rep starring Marin Ireland for some HEIGHTENED PERIOD DRAMA.  (I saw it at Yale Rep, highly recommend it.)
 

Looking forward to seeing:
 
è  The Goddess, Starring my friends Tricia Alexandro, Rick Busser and Michael Kingsbaker

è  SALESMEN: A mediation on Masculinity and American Real!, Featuring my friends Patrick Schied, Hugh Trimble and Nick Smerkanich

è  DANI GIRL by EPBB (YAY free dinner and theatre, cough cough)
 

Shout-outs:

è  Other Desert Cities, Starring lovely Jessica O’Hara-Baker

è  Ms.Bovary, Produced by dear Katie Lindsay
 
è  The Rest of Your Life, Featuring Mackenize Lansing

 

No comments:

Post a Comment